Wednesday, March 08, 2006

What's In A Home?

I was up at Tech today, turning in miscellaneous paperwork for the Registrar's Office and the Bookstore so I can walk at Graduation and actually receive the little piece of paper that I've paid for and earned.

Anyway, the thought occurred to me that my hometown will be listed as Cedar City, UT in the "Order of Events" booklet that every commencement ceremony seems to have. If you know me to any degree, I don't feel comfortable calling any place my hometown, for various reasons.

However, it seems strange, even in this day and age, to not have a place to call "home". My sweetheart longs to return to his hometown, and many people I know are very rooted to one city or another. Maybe I'm more malleable that way.

Ontario, California: Yup, I'm a SoCal girl by birth. I've been back there as an adult, and due to the extreme shallowness of the average person there I loathe to associate myself with that place.

Cedar City, Utah: I spent half my youth here, and by all rights I should be able to call CC my hometown. However, I have no roots there (my parents are moving within the next couple of years). I also loathe to associate myself with the LDS religion (of which I was a member for 19 years) and the racially-intolerant, religiously-intolerant, closed-minded, misogynistic viewpoints that seem to flourish in any small Utah town. And since I have no reason to visit the sleepy little town on I-15 after my parents move, I see no reason to call Cedar City my home.

Butte, Montana: I've really enjoyed my years in Montana. While not culturally diverse by any means, there's a freedom here that I enjoy. However, I do believe one has to have a certain cultural background to call Butte one's hometown, and unfortunately I don't have that. Maybe when I'm old, gray, and retired I'll build a summer home in the Montana Rockies.

No comments: