Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Spoiled

It was just a comment.
I said something about how I must be spoiled because I prefer the quieter, cleaner art-house theaters over the multiplexes these days, and cited my experience when I went to The Soloist at Del Amo Fashion Center.
"Spoiled?! Oh, Diane wouldn't be spoiled, would she?"
He used to tease me with that phrase when I was a child and would cry when I didn't get what I wanted.
What. The. Hell. I thought we were supposed to be adults. Just a few nights ago he told me I needed to have more self-confidence.

Webster 4th definition of "spoiled" states: to impair the disposition or character of by overindulgence or excessive praise; to pamper excessively; coddle.

If I allowed my mother to, she definitely would coddle me, and it irritates me to no end. But I don't see how I could have ever been overindulged or praised excessively; there was no money with which to do that with. I was not one of the kids who were bribed for good grades by their parents. I didn't get to even apply to my first or second choice for college. I kept myself from trying out for the drill team (dance squad) in high school because if I made the team there would not be the money to buy uniforms with and pay for travel expenses.

I support myself and can afford to live on my own. I'm grateful for what I have.

These are not attributes that would cause me to relate the 4th definition of "spoiled" to me.

Maybe I should have been born a son. Or maybe he was not of the disposition to raise children. Maybe he resents that I took time and money away from whatever he would have preferred doing with that time and money.

Maybe he really meant the 3rd definition: to damage seriously; to impair the quality or effect of.

My mother taught me how to be taken advantage of in relationships and my father taught me how to loathe myself. Thanks, folks. You spoiled me.

Now I have the rest of my life to fix all that and hopefully not perpetuate it.

No comments: