Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Texting While Socializing

I saw this article on Slate and thought it would be interesting for discussion. (Is it just me, or are Slate and Salon hit-or-miss these days? Then again, I feel my blog is sometimes hit-or-miss, so I guess I shouldn't complain)

I was on a 2nd date once in an outdoor concert. My date seemed like a nice guy but I was bored to tears by him. I had a comrade text me several times about the date, and when I mentioned how awful it was turning out my comrade offered to call me with an "emergency" so I could leave. I didn't want to do that so I grit my teeth and waited the date out.

If I was genuinely interested in the guy I wouldn't have been texting my buddy. Then again, someone told me afterwards that if I was bored to tears then the guy deserved to have the girl be distracted/pulled away by other things. I'm not so sure I agree with that.

When I'm casually with someone I will answer phone calls and texts unless we are actively in the middle of a conversation. But if I'm just getting to know someone I like to give them my full attention.

4 comments:

don said...

I've had women do both. Make cell calls and text. The one who was texting included me in most of them and showed and or told me what they were about. I didn't have a problem with that, but the one who made phone calls bothered me.

Diane Lowe said...

I'd feel very uncomfortable making a phone call in the middle of hanging out with someone, unless we both were purposefully trying to get a hold of someone.

When my boyfriend takes me flying I usually call my parents when he does his pre-flight as there isn't anything for me to do.

Jules said...

I think the odd text here and there when you're in the company of family and friends is okay, but there's no way that I'd be texting on a first date... or even a second one for that matter. Probably not until I felt really comfortable with that person.

Diane Lowe said...

I gave the guy a second date because the first was fun and I thought maybe the awkwardness was just because he was nervous. He was really nervous on the 2nd date and the conversation kind of sucked. I don't know; I feel like I picked up on some vibe that made me feel like he was insecure. And when you're nearing 40 and THAT nervous about a 2nd date, that's a huge problem no matter how nice or loaded with cash you are. I felt like I was spending time with him trying to get him relax then just both of us having a good time.

I think that's the rudest I've been on a date, though.