Saturday, April 25, 2009

Wet Laundry

I'm moving in a week, and this morning I woke up early so I could do laundry and really get most of my packing done. At my current apartment complex they use card-operated laundry machines; washing machines cost $1.25, and the dryers $1.00. It takes 38 minutes to wash a load of laundry, and the dryers give you 60 minutes even though they run hot and it probably takes only 45 minutes to dry clothes. The dryers also have the neat feature that if you stop the cycle part way, the clock still ticks down even though the dryer isn't drying anything.

I had a lot of laundry to do and I decided to not be greedy and take up the whole bank of washers and dryers. I only used two washers and one dryer the whole morning.

For my last load I had bed and kitchen linens to wash and dry. There was only 20 minutes left on the dryer when I loaded the linens, so I put the last dollar from my laundry card on the dryer to add another hour.

When I returned 45 minutes later, someone had pulled my laundry out and dumped it on the dryer next to the one I was using. They didn't even have the courtesy to make sure nothing ended up on the floor. Then they put their own laundry into the machine I paid for and restarted it.

Normally I would have only been slightly peeved that some anonymous impatient person would move my laundry (especially if the dryer was still on cycle), but my linens were still damp! Arg!

What bad karma did I do to bring this on?

So I stopped the dryer. I figure I paid for the time, I should get to see how it's spent.

1 comment:

don said...

That does suck. I've been thinking about making a clothes line to dry clothes this summer. I'll put that hot air to use.