Saturday, August 22, 2009

San Francisco Half Marathon 2009 Race Report


I know this is a little late, but I was waiting for official photos. I'm getting super skinny (I've dropped a few pounds since this race as well) and my parents have been bugging me for running photos. . . so I might as well get ones where I'm looking damn good if I'm going to pay through the nose for them. . . .

Wow. This was an awesome experience. I'd never run a race out-of-driving-distance from my home before, and I was pretty ambitious in my goal setting (2:30:00 was my goal time). This was the most challenging half marathon I've ever run, yet the most satisfying and the one with the best recovery. I was energized when I finished the race, and wasn't even sore or tired. I was a bit stiff afterwards, but the next day I went to yoga and was just fine. I also PR'd (personal record) on this race: 2:37:07. So I was very satisfied with my performance.

I drove up a couple days before the race, and my good friend Krista ran it with me. We split up a mile or so into it because my leg was nagging me (it tends to do that the first few miles, and then after I'm warmed up it's fine and I really start to pick up the pace).

It was really cold that morning and if I had known better I would have brought warmer clothes overall. The race also started earlier than the other two half marathons I've run. By the time we were shuttled back to downtown it had turned into a nice day.

As far as races go, it was very well organized and well run. The recovery goodies were great and I really liked the Cytomax energy drink they used. The flavor is light and not too sweet.

I distinctly remember either missing some of the mile markers or they just weren't there. . . .however, there were witty sayings put up along parts of the route, which provided lots of amusement to the crowd of runners (Such as Confucious' saying "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step").

The best part of the race was going over the Golden Gate Bridge. Man, what a beautiful memory. The bridge was wreathed in fog, and three lanes had been closed off for us (two for running, the other to provide a buffer between us and traffic). Sometimes cars would honk at us in support, which was nice. But mostly the only sound you could hear was the sound of cars whizzing past and runners' shuffling feet.

After getting over the bridge and back, the race dropped us down to Golden Gate Park. I knew there were hills in San Francisco, but the big hills were nothing compared to the little rolling hills. Talk about demoralizing. I ended up having to walk part of this section just because I was so sad about getting so close to the finish and having to run up and down these little rollers. Also the mile markers were getting spotty in the park and I would see a lot of finishers walking around, so for the last mile I was wondering where the hell the finish line was. Not necessarily a problem with the race, but it was frustrating to round yet another turn and see nothing.

The line to get my California Dreamin' Medal and Jacket was pretty long - I waited over an hour. I saw my friend Krista finish a few minutes after me (I had passed her after the bridge, and she opted to walk up the big hill after the bridge. I was still feeling strong enough to keep going) and we ended up meeting back at the hotel.

The line to the shuttles was pretty long too; another 45 minute wait. A few runners and myself were amused at one runner who was taking a smoking break in the park. Wow. Just wow.

Overall I had a great experience and definitely recommend this race. You see a great deal of San Francisco and there's nothing quite like the achievement of running over the Golden Gate Bridge twice in one day to make you feel like you've accomplished something rare and fantastic.

2 comments:

don said...

Nice! I love the bridge picture. I knew a guy in track that used to sneak a smoke during meets if he could.

Diane Lowe said...

Thanks Don! :)

Yes that particular bridge picture shows how truly shrouded the bridge was that morning. . . .