Monday, August 17, 2009

Signals

One of the reasons I've kind of dropped off the blogging map is that I've taken up Argentine Tango. I've had a lot of fun and I'm learning a lot.

One thing about social dance is you learn a whole new way of communication with your partner. All of the things in Argentine Tango, all of the fancy stuff you see, is all communicated through signals the lead gives the follower. It's not magic, it's a very complicated bit of non-verbal communication going on there.

I think the lessons I've learned on the dance floor can definitely be applied to real life in general and relationships specifically. If the follower doesn't know what a signal means, the message will be lost and the lead will have to give up executing whatever he/she had in mind. (Yes, a woman can lead in Tango) At milognas I've definitely been inept enough to miss a signal or two. And I can instantly tell who the good leads are after a dance or two with them. Or at least if I like the way they lead me. :)

I've heard of some ballroom dancers who are good enough to "carry" their partners and disguise any skill deficiencies. Not so in Tango. In Tango, you can only be as good as the weakest partner. Good thing I follow well.

7 comments:

Time Traveller said...

Hey - what happened to your half marathon? Did you do it? It was you right? Someone called Diane commented on my blog saying she was running a half but I can't get to her profile page, is that you?

Diane Lowe said...

Hey TT - Yes I was doing the San Francisco Half. . . .but I haven't blogged about it yet. . . .I ordered the official photos (for my parents) so when that USB key arrives I'll post something. . .but my time was 2:37:07! (I was shooting for 2:30, but this was also the most difficult half marathon I've run and also I felt really great during and after the race)

Time Traveller said...

That solves the mystery! Well done on completing it! I thought you were going to say you didn't so it as you didn't blog about it.

I seem to remember you saying it was hilly and it was pretty damn hot too?

I'm doing another one in September, that it VERY hilly. Training for it is going slowly, but I've managed to get up and run in the mornings even though I'm not working ...
http://twentysomethingnowwhat.blogspot.com/2009/04/runs-in-family.html

Will you do another one?

Diane Lowe said...

Thanks! :)

It was hilly (but the rolling hills were worse than the big steep ones), and it was damn chilly! :P

I'm doing a full marathon in October (my first!). . . need to get cracking on those long runs though or else I'm gonna set myself up for a massively painful experience. . . .

Good job on being motivated enough to run in the mornings! I haven't quite figured out how to make that happen in my schedule.

Time Traveller said...

I know what you mean, the steep hills are over quickly but the rolling ones seem to go on forever and make your heart feel like it's going to burst.

A MARATHON! Yikes! Have you done one before? I've entered one but I'm not sure if I'm in yet.

Yes, the long runs are a must ... I find it helps to go with someone.

Time Traveller said...

Oh ... I have to run in the mornings, it's been too hot to run later. And once the morning run is out of the way you can relax all day and not feel at all guilty :)

Diane Lowe said...

Haha! Yes I love morning runs too . . . but it's the getting-out-of-bed-early-enough that's the hard part!

No I've never done a full marathon before. . . so this will be interesting. . . .it does help to go with someone but I haven't found someone who runs slow enough and is also training for a marathon near the same time mine is yet. . .

Good luck with getting into your marathon!

Yes those damn rolling hills are really demoralizing. . . .