Thursday, November 26, 2009

Turkey Day

Happy Thanksgiving!

I volunteered myself to host Thanksgiving for my parents and sweetheart this year. This is the first time I've hosted Thanksgiving, and while I'm a bit freaked out, I think I'll be OK. :)

Did I mention I don't have an oven?

I do, on the other hand, have a very nice Weber Q 220 that I think will work for all the "oven like" things I'll be doing.

I'm going to make:
Dinner Rolls - I'm going to borrow liberally from the Taste of Home Garlic Herb Rolls recipe. I really don't need 20 dinner rolls. :)
Turkey (I found an 8lb free range one that was quite a dear price at Whole Foods - it should fit in the grill) - I'm going to be inspired by Alton Brown's recipe, but omit the brine because I don't have a pan big enough to brine the turkey in. Let's hope butter under the skin will do the trick. I found a neat grilled turkey article here.
Stuffing - A bag of Pepperidge Farm's herb seasoned stuffing made Mrs. Cubbison's style. Saute the celery and onions with the giblets for the best results. I haven't decided if this will go in a dish on the grill or if I'll just make it on the stovetop.
Roasted Acorn Squash - sprinkled with cinnamon
either steamed green beans or steamed asparagus (I found asparagus on sale that looked kind of nice, so I think that will be the winner)
Pumpkin Pie - using the recipe on the can of pumpkin and a pie crust made with an egg.

I finally found kitchen twine at Ralph's. It seems like one of those things that should be ubiquitous to the kitchen, but I honestly don't think many stores carry it. If they do it's not in a good location. I almost bought "turkey lacers" and steal the twine from that until I spotted the real thing.

1 comment:

don said...

One holiday down, and one to go!

I think I like Thanksgiving better than Christmas. A little less comercial.