Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Hey Twilight Fans!

Please, please, please, for the love of homemade macaroni with real cheddar cheese, please explain to me why you love this series so much.

Because this synopsis of Breaking Dawn and this comparison of Edward's behavior to an abusive relationship signs checklist do not help your case.

I watched Twilight last night. On YouTube. And I do not understand the appeal of Edward's character *at* *all*. I was OK with his character until his conversation with Bella in the hallway when he tells her flat-out that no one would believe her version of what happened with the van. Holy crap. Any fascination I had for the character completely died in that moment.

I actually really liked the Jacob character (even though I *know* he forcibly kisses her in one of the later books). Given the choice between the two, at least it appears that Jacob genuinely cares about Bella (although the reason why escapes me. I think she's an awful human being, even for being an angsty teenager).

And yes, when they make the film version of Breaking Dawn, I think they should keep it as true to the novel as the synopsis. Because at least that film would be hilarious.

2 comments:

AmyD said...

This is a classic case of a movie that is nothing like the book. Sometimes when this happens I can still enjoy the movies, like with Ella Enchanted, but others, like most adaptations of Pride and Prejudice, make me cringe. This is a case where I can't stand the movie, but the book is fabulous.

Diane Lowe said...

Really?

I was under the impression the film was relatively close to the book, given what I'd heard of the book and critics' impressions of the film.

I really don't have a lot of motivation to read large tomes anymore, mostly because I just don't have the time for it right now. I was especially disappointed with the Harry Potter series and stopped reading them after book 5. I get a lot more out of things like "Crying of Lot 49" or "The Last Unicorn" than I can out of some huge Harry Potter tome.

If I was still angsty and felt sorry for myself for needing/wanting a man in my life I might appreciate Twilight more. I don't know if Bella's character was like this in the novel, but she didn't seem to have any goals in life outside of becoming a vampire and getting with Edward. Not exactly what I would consider a character to admire or emulate. At least Harry & co. were going to save the world.

I really enjoyed the 2005 Joe Wright adaptation of Pride & Prejudice, although they did massage the story somewhat.