Sunday, May 09, 2010

Garden Update, Part Two

After I did my garden update yesterday I went to Home Depot and saw they had ARTICHOKE plants in stock.  Weeks ago my parents sent me these three Grow Boxes (Self Watering Containers that are supposed to be the best - and most expensive - you can buy; lots of people make their own though) that I hadn't yet planted with stuff.


Artichokes are supposed to want a lot of room, even though the directions with the Grow Box said you can plant 6 Artichokes in one box.  So on the left I have 2 Artichokes, and behind in the other Grow Box I have Broccoli seeds waiting to sprout.  On the right I have my pepper plants that I started from seed.  They wilt a bit during the day and then spring back in the late afternoon.  I'm not sure what to do about that, as they didn't seem waterlogged when I pulled them out of their old containers.  When I transplanted them I also noticed that they've both developed quite a root system, so I'm pretty happy about that.  And no, I don't know why the pepper in the back is so much smaller than the pepper in the front.  I started them both at the same time, and have treated them the same as far as I know.

I really love eating artichokes, by the way, but they are so expensive.  So I really look forward to growing my own.  I eat a lot of broccoli too, so let's hope that I can eat as much as I can grow!

I'm enjoying my gardening experiment so far this year; I hope that it continues to go well!

2 comments:

Jules said...

My mom told me to grow a healthy pepper plant, sprinkle epsom salt around the base of it. I haven't ever tried it, so don't hold me accountable for it if you try it and it fails, but she used to grow nice peppers when she lived in southern Alberta.

Best of luck with the artichokes!

Diane Lowe said...

Thanks Jules!

I've since discovered that Peppers will shock a bit in warm weather, and that's why they perk up after it cools off. We'll see how they handle the SoCal heat, although I'm by the coast (but never go to the beach? What's wrong with me?).

I'm gonna try the Epsom salts around the tomatoes, as I now think the weird foliage spotting I see is probably due to magnesium deficiency (one of the more common nutrient deficiencies) and not some wicked fungus. Thanks!