Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Is Computer Science Still A Good Career?

Apparently So.

Computer science 'still a good career,' leader of job migration task force says

I would recommend to anyone who wants to study IT of any kind, and engineering in general, to "math up". I was half-way through my college career before I realized how math-intensive computer science and software engineering are. Granted, my school was particularly math-intensive, but CS/SE are applied mathematics in a way that engineering and physics are not. But I digress. If you're in high school, take math and english for all four years, even if it's not required. Why? Because you'll need it in college. Even if you plan on getting a liberal arts degree, I would still recommend the extra math; college courses cover lots more material in a semester than a year-long high school course, and if you have the extra math background you'll breeze through the math and science requirements.

The other motivation for aspiring CS/SE graduates to take lots of math in high school is that you'll need to be prepared for calculus (if you don't take it in high school) when you get to college. Otherwise you might not have the math background to do well in your computer science classes, and/or you might not even be able to take your computer science classes until you get your math pre-reqs out of the way. Think of math as your veggies; you need lots of it.

Personally, I think now I should have gotten an EE degree, but I suppose I can always get motivated and earn one later. (I just really loved my Microprocessors class.)

No comments: