Monday, November 13, 2006

Movie Review - Beyond The Sea

On my way to work, there's a particular bend in the road that gives me a fantastic view of the ocean. If I'm ambitious I can look to the left at intersections, but this particular curve doesn't require any stunt driving to enjoy the view.

If I'm equally ambitious at work, I can see the sea (and Santa Monica) from my office at work. But that view is not particularly great.

But I digress.

I recently watched Beyond The Sea, which is worth watching. Kevin Spacey not only has writing and directing credits, but also stars, sings and dances in this Bobby Darin biopic. I really enjoyed watching Spacey in this; more than once I thought Spacey sounded just like Darin. This is also a great example of a film where a known actor pulls off someone else believably, not so with a typical John Wayne or Jack Nicholson film, for examples.

Most biopics tend to be syrupy and melodramatic; not so with Beyond the Sea. Even though the film touches on Darin's death, the film treats death as an inevitability and doesn't try to emotionally capitalize on it.

I wasn't impressed with Kate Bosworth as Sandra Dee, and I would have loved to hear the song "More" (my favorite Bobby Darin tune), but I feel those are minor issues.

No comments: