Saturday, August 02, 2008

Chow Mei Fun

One of the things I picked out of my food when I was growing up (besides onions) was the black mushrooms in one of my favorite dishes, chow mei fun (fried rice noodles). This would frustrate my mother, who would berate me, telling me how good the mushrooms were for me. I must have not believed her, because I still wouldn't eat them.

In college, one of the first things I figured out how to make for myself was chow mei fun. My boyfriend at the time and I had a little "cooking cart" stuffed with cooking equipment, which we would truck down to the first floor of our dormitory and create delicious meals. He was a very helpful soux chef, although we disagreed over the best way to brown meat (he always insisted on adding water and covering the pan, where I felt it was best to omit those steps. The relationship was never meant to last.).

I remember calling my mom and asking her if I absolutely had to put the dreaded black mushrooms in the dish. Her reluctant response was, "well, you don't have to put them in, but you'll lose the flavor." So I reluctantly added black mushrooms.

And then liked them. Now I add more than the recipe calls for (as well as the little shrimp). You can add 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. salt to the water or stock, but depending on the soy sauce you use it may or may not be necessary. I've also heard you can substitute the meat and the veggies (cabbage and carrot) for other veggies, but I have yet to try it that way.

Fried Rice Noodles (adapted from the recipe in Chinese One Dish Meals)
150 gm dry rice noodles (also called rice sticks, in the Asian section)
1/2 lb. pork, shredded (I'm lazy and get the thin-cut pork chops)
1/3 c. small dried shrimp, soaked in hot water (get these at an Asian grocery)
6 dried Chinese black mushrooms, soaked in water and then juilienned
1/3 - 1/2 onion, sliced in half circles and the rings separated
2 TB soy sauce
1 c. water or stock (can use the liquid from soaking the shrimp and mushrooms)
1/4 tsp. black pepper
2 c. cabbage, shredded
1 c. carrot, shredded (you can actually buy shredded carrot, saves lots of time!)

Either soak the noodles in cold water for 20-30 minutes, or immerse them in boiling water for 10 seconds and set aside.
Heat 4 TB oil (don't use olive oil as it can't take the heat) in a preheated wok. Stir fry the meat shreds, then add the shrimp, black mushrooms, and onion. Add the soy sauce and stir fry briefly.
Add the water or stock and black pepper and bring to a boil.
Add the noodles, cabbage, and carrot.
Stir fry until the liquid has been absorbed.
Eat. :)

3 comments:

don said...

I love mushrooms but always thought they had no nutritional value. Not sure where I got that idea.

Krista said...

Isn't it funny how your taste buds change as you get older. There are so many things I absolutely refused to eat as a kid (and drove my mom crazy), but now love. I guess better late than never.

Diane Lowe said...

I think the myth of mushrooms having no nutritional value is a common one. I know wikipedia mentions it.

It *is* really weird how the palate changes with age.

But then I'm just one big weirdo. :)