Sunday, July 27, 2008

California Bans Trans Fats

California Bars Restaurant Use of Trans Fats

I think this is overall a good idea. However, I think the article paints an overly-rosy picture of the state of California's restaurant system and citizens.

A lot of California is not the stereotypical, stick-thin, beach blonde, health-conscious waif nor the buff, tanned, egg-white-eating stud. Sure, you can find plenty of those here, but if you look around, you see a lot of overweight people. A lot of people who *don't* drive new Lexuses or BMWs or Mercedes. A lot of people who are happy to eat McDonald's every day.

Maybe it's just me, but I see a lot of obese and overweight children at the stores. Until these children learn to eat better and exercise more, their health is going to be at stake.

I think the new law is a step in the right direction, but I don't think it's going to be a substitute for self (and parental) responsibility.

No comments: