Monday, February 09, 2009

Dinner For 1 - Asparagus Soup

Monday night is usually grocery night for me. If you can plan it right you can make it in-and-out of the grocery store in under 20 minutes (like I did tonight!).

Because it's been cold lately, and because I've been craving soup, I think this week will be soup week.

I kind of half-assed the shopping trip, which means I'll probably have to go back on Wednesday or Thursday to get something I forgot.

I bought:
1 lb block extra sharp cheddar cheese
1 can diced tomatoes
Two three-packets of yeast (for bread; I forgot if I needed extra-rapid or the other kind . . .breadmaking is so confusing!)
1 bag bean soup mix
4 bananas
A clamshell of spring mix salad
A bunch of Italian parsley
A bunch of Kale
1 onion
3 potatoes
1 bunch of celery
3 carrots
1 package of Andouille sausage

All for $32.59! Maybe it's not so much of a bargain where you shop, but 4 days' worth of dinner and lunches on under $35.00 is pretty good in L.A.

When I was in Butte there was a restaurant on Broadway, all the way East on Broadway. A girlfriend and I would hit that place up for lunch sometimes, where the special was a slice of pizza and soup or salad. I fell in love with their chicken asparagus soup, and finally got around to making something like it tonight. Warning: What happens below does not make anything close to what you find on Broadway St., Butte, MT, but tastes good regardless. You can add some onion or celery if you like for additional flavor.

Asparagus Soup
1 can of chicken broth
1 potato
a clove of garlic (or garlic powder)
2/3 bunch of asparagus, cut up, tips reserved
chopped chicken (I used leftover chicken from dinner a few nights ago)
parsley (preferably flat-leafed Italian parsley)
pepper

Cube the potato and throw that into the broth. Add the asparagus (minus the tips) and garlic. Boil for 15-20 minutes. Blend until smooth.
Add the asparagus tips, chicken, and parsley (easy way to chop parsley - use a kitchen shears) and return to heat. Cook until the asparagus tips are done and the chicken is warmed through. Add pepper, top with Parmesan if you like.

1 comment:

don said...

I'll have to try this. I need to branch out in the soup department.

You're right, it's expensive to buy some of the things you need for some dishes. I run into that a lot.