Thursday, February 19, 2009

Dinner For 1 - Beef Stroganoff

I'm not sure what I like so much about beef stroganoff. It's comfort food. Sliced beef in a rich sauce over noodles. Perfect for a moody, "fuck the world let me commiserate alone" day.
But it's also good in mass quantities, and served with people. I kind of cheated on this recipe, as it will make plenty for two. But you can have one mighty portion for yourself tonight, and then bring the rest to work for lunch tomorrow. That's what I do! :)
My friend Don mentioned this technique to me. The noodles cook in the sauce - perfect when you're feeling lazy & moody. :)

Beef Stroganoff
3/4 - 1 lb beef steak (get a budget cut!), sliced thinly (tip - partially freeze the meat before slicing)
8 - 12 oz mushrooms, sliced
1/4 onion, diced
butter or olive oil - something to saute with
1 TB flour
2 cans chicken or beef broth (I've heard beer works well also)
1/2 lb dry egg noodles
1/4 - 1/2 c. dollop of sour cream (yogurt if you're watching calories, but really? If you're making stroganoff you shouldn't be watching calories!)
1 lemon wedge

Season the steak with salt and pepper. You can also season with other spices, like garlic, seasoned salt, or paprika.
Melt the butter in a big pan, like your wok or 2 qt. saucepan. Saute the mushrooms and the onion until the mushrooms are brown and the onion is translucent, about 8 minutes. Remove from the pan.
Use paper towels to blot the meat. (It sautes better when it's dry) Turn the heat to medium-high or high. Add a dollop of oil or butter to the pan if you need it and add the meat. Saute until brown, about 2 minutes. Lower the heat and add the mushrooms and onions that you cooked earlier.
Stir in the flour until it's incorporated into the juices. If you're getting really crazy you can add a spoonful of tomato paste (I never feel so inclined). Add the broth and a splash of brandy (I used kirsch tonight). Apparently a teaspoon of dill is OK, too. Cover and let simmer for about 30 minutes (until the meat is tender). Go check your blogs or watch a half-hour TV show or something.
Stir in the dry noodles, and simmer until the noodles are al dente, stirring occasionally.
Remove the pan from the heat, and add in the sour cream. I've read that sour cream can curdle if the mixture is too hot (like incorporating eggs into custards), so if you're worried about that you can mix in a 1/4 cup of sauce into the sour cream before you add it back to the pot.
Squeeze a bit of lemon juice on top, eat, and be happy.

Other stroganoff recipes.

3 comments:

don said...

Never leave out the beer! (even if you have enough chicken stock) It doesn't help with the lazy but it keeps you from being moody. :) (because you drink it while you cook)

I'm kidding, I actually think the beer makes it better.

My stupid memory. I put red wine in it too. I guess russians put another type of alcohol in it. I knew what it was, but I can't remember. Red wine works as a substitute.

Diane Lowe said...

Beer would be good! :)

I definitely believe that beer would help tenderize the steak faster.

Wouldn't Russians use Vodka? ;)

don said...

:) no I don't think it was vodka. I think it might have been Brandy or something like that.