Thursday, June 04, 2009

Movie Review - O'Horten

If you like dry humor, please run to the nearest arthouse theater and see O'Horten (trailer here). It's hilarious, and touching.

O'Horten is about Odd Horten, a train engineer who is at the end of his career. There is a retirement party, and interesting situations ensue. After his retirement, he kind of wanders around in a world that he's become unfamiliar with. He wears his train engineer's jacket everywhere he goes, because what else would he wear? He falls asleep in strange places, and meets interesting people. He brings some closure to his past, and embarks on a new journey.

There is not a strong chronology to the film, as it feels like days, weeks, or months may have taken place between the episodes depicted. But I think it demonstrates how, in life, there are a few key events which we remember quite vividly among all the less-interesting days we have. Also I feel it demonstrates how we can get a better perspective on our lives once we have lived through it.

The cinematography is fantastic. There are several shots that are just so beautiful to watch. It's absolutely brilliant. Even if you hate this kind of movie (I have no idea what genre I would put this movie in. . . comedic drama doesn't quite do the film justice), go see it for the cinematography. The opening scene of O'Horten driving the train is particularly incredible.

The humor is dry. As in if you look at it funny, it will spontaneously combust. I could not stop giggling throughout the whole film. If you were at the screening I went to, those muffled giggles were coming from me. I'm sorry you didn't get the film as much as I did. I don't think I have a weird sense of humor - I think the film is supposed to be that funny.

The acting is very good. It can be hard to pay attention to acting when it's in a different language, especially an unfamiliar language, but there are several scenes that are not based on dialogue, and really highlight Bard Owe's talent.

The soundtrack is very good as well. A clip of it is used in the trailer.

I know in some parts of the country it may be difficult to find a theater showing this. Hopefully it will be out on DVD soon for rental or to purchase.

No comments: