Monday, June 08, 2009

Movie Review - Up

Pixar's charming new film Up is a must-see for this summer. While at a level most children won't be able to appreciate for a few years, the story is solid and as a whole the movie is just adorable.

The opening montage of scenes from Carl's life with Ellie were so well done. At least half of the audience was bawling within the first fifteen minutes. The rumors are true. Michael Giacchino's score is absolutely perfect. I think he is slowly making himself my new favorite living film score composer.

I love the Dug character. Bob Petersen lends his voice to the earnest, devoted golden retriever perfectly. "I hid under your porch because I LOVE YOU!"

Pixar has definitely perfected the art of animated storytelling, infusing each protagonist character with charm. Because of the film's themes it will probably be best for adults and older children (I would say 10 and up).

No comments: