Monday, October 05, 2009

Miramar Air Show


OK, the photo isn't from the air show, but I like it.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Marines, and for Marine rotor craft units. My dad used to maintain them, and as a child I remember going to Marine Corps Air Station Tustin and just being in awe of the huge hangars they had there. The city of Tustin desperately wants to tear those hangars down in the name of development, and when that eventually happens a part of my childhood, a part of whatever mythology I crafted for myself, will die forever, to only live in my memory. When I am gone what will be left?

I went to the airshow last weekend, and had a blast. When I was a little girl my daddy would take me to the air show in Chino, and I imagine the air show in Tustin as well, to see the planes. To go down to Miramar last weekend and touch the aircraft again was a delight for me. To smell that odd, distinctly military smell of sweat, dust, and motor oil was a treat. To feel that cargo webbing and steel painted over in olive drab again was heaven. To touch the nose of the Super Stallion that touches the sky - is ecstasy.

To be among Marines again, to be among the few and the proud. I was comfortable in that environment, being on a military base again. If you know how to talk to them, they'll let you in their world.

"Hey Marines! Do you know where [Parking Lot] Silver 1 is?"

"Oh sure - it's all the way down this road. Here; I'll walk you out."

"Oh that's not necessary"

"It's OK. We're not doing anything around here anyway. (To his buddies) Hey watch that van and make sure nothing happens with that."

"How are you tonight?"

"Oh, we're all right - been doin' this since seven this morning. We'll probably be here until midnight tonight, and then we get to wake up at six AM tomorrow and do this again." I don't know anyone in the military who doesn't complain about this all-encompassing duty that seems to allow for less-than-optimal sleep. I mean, they ALL do it, and they all use the same phrases.

"I see." A car approaches from behind, and the Marine's buddy says, "Hey man, move over to the side of the road."

"Eh, he can go around." He waves his arm so the car will pass.

They're all so young. When we walked onto the flight line that afternoon, there was a slender Marine wearing cammies that looked oversized for his tall frame, and BCGs that made him look geeky. I wonder if he joined to prove his friends he was tough. He gave us a big grin and waved us into the correct direction.

One Marine stopped me to check my bag and called me ma'am. Whenever grocery checkers call me ma'am it kind of irritates me, because I am NOT old enough to be a ma'am. I make exception for the military.

Some psychologist says that the sound of car engines arouses women. I think jet engines work better. :)

4 comments:

don said...

That's a shame about Tustin Air Station.

Diane Lowe said...

It really is. I've been meaning to go down there with a nice camera and take photos.

With the economy the way it is I hope that it's stalled any idea of "development" in that area for the time being.

When I took my dad down there a couple years ago he commented that the whole area used to be covered in orange groves. That must have been a sight to see; heavy helicopters lifting above the trees with the air smelling of oil, fuel, and oranges.

I can't say I'm nostalgic because I never lived it, but I do know there is something there that is precious (and not just to me) and when it's gone it will be gone forever. That makes me deeply sad.

don said...

That might be a cool venue for small concerts or something like that. Plenty of parking, great big building. That's my first thought.

Do we really need more housing developments?

Yes you should take some pictures of that hanger. It's really beautiful.

Diane Lowe said...

That's a cool idea to use the hangars as a venue for concerts. I'm certain there's a lot of maintenance that needs to be done on them before they would be considered safe for people though; unless they've been cared for, they've laid vacant for 10 years.