Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Perseverance

The truth about grit

I like the idea of grit. Merriam-Webster defines the quality of grit as "firmness of mind or spirit : unyielding courage in the face of hardship or danger".

Grit is an old-fashioned, honest quality. Manly, but in a non-sexist way. I'd like to think that women can by gritty too, but I'd also like to think there was a more feminine way to call that quality.

When all else fails, try, try again. Pick yourself up and keep going. Because the only person you can truly rely on is yourself. I'm being very honest here. We are all born into this world alone, and we die alone. Much of our lives we struggle on our own. There is no one else who can shoulder that burden for us but ourselves.

By pushing our responsibility of traveling through this life onto others, we commit ourselves to mediocrity and misery. There is nothing wrong with having a companion, in fact, I most love the concept of having a confidant with which to share my life and experiences with. But in the end I'll still be on my own.

I'm not quite sure what my thesis for this post is supposed to be. There was something in the original article that made me think about what it means to be an adult, what it means to truly be self sufficient. And I definitely think grit is one of those things you must possess if you truly desire growing up.

1 comment:

don said...

I totally agree that the only person you can rely on is yourself.