Monday, April 12, 2010

Delicious, Delicious Mashed Potatoes

Mashed potatoes is one of my favorite comfort foods. Okay, anything with potatoes, because when you combine them with fat (in the form of real butter), you get the perfect triage of starch, salt, and fat that makes for supreme bad-for-you deliciousness.

Francis Lam (who is fast becoming my favorite food author) just wrote an article on Salon covering the mashed potato, and his technique of preparing them.

I like to make mine by hand with a masher, and I leave the skins on. I use real butter (but some of the comments suggest olive oil, which I will definitely try) and milk. I usually cook a clove of garlic with the potatoes, and now that I have fresh chives from my garden I can add those in too.

Some of the other comments suggest a dash of nutmeg, which sounds interesting and I'd like to try that too, but I'm not so sure how well that will go with garlic.

5 comments:

don said...

I like to take left over mashed potatoes and fry them for breakfast as potatoe pancakes.

Diane Lowe said...

Nice Don!

I'm going to try that tonight when I get home! :)

Do you eat them with applesauce and sour cream?

don said...

I eat them with I can't believe it's not butter.

Jules said...

Potatos are one of my favorite foods too.. they just have so many ways to prepare them. I generally prefer whipped ones to mashed though, they're creamier. If you have a favorite cream based salad dressing, or cream cheese, try mixing that in with the butter and milk for added flavor too. Also, for a baked potato feel from your whipped or mashed, mix in cheddar cheese, sour cream and bacon bits. Yum.

Diane Lowe said...

That's awesome Jules! I love warm, fattening comfort food you can eat with a spoon. That, and fried chicken. :P