Sunday, April 04, 2010

Garden Update

I transplanted the Peace rose today, as well as a pepper plant from Home Depot and a rose my parents sent me for my birthday. I also fertilized all the plants that I didn't transplant today, using Miracle Gro's Shake 'n' Feed plant food. It comes in a smaller shaker jar than the one in the link. I just read the FAQ on the product and it says not to use it for container plants. Oops. If anyone has any helpful gardening feedback they can give to me, I'd sure appreciate it!

On the left is the rose; I planted Lobelia seeds around the edge of the container. On the top right is the Early Girl and on the bottom right are Better Boys I planted from seed. I need to get tomato cages for these soon. These are all 7 gallon containers. You can get them at Home Depot for around $10.

The Early Girl tomato and the California Pepper I bought from Home Depot both have flowers on them. The strawberries have lots of flowers on them and I'm hoping I'll get to eat some fresh strawberries in May!

5 comments:

don said...

Wow! That's looking good.

Diane Lowe said...

Thanks Don!

Hopefully I can keep it that way! After all the reading all of the ways I can kill a plant, I hope I can keep these alive!

I've been reading that some people pinch off the first flowers on their tomatoes, peppers and strawberries because they think it makes the fruit that comes after better. What do you do Don? I honestly have no idea what I should do. . . I just don't want to screw it up.

don said...

I don't pinch them off. But I really don't know what I'm doing. I'm the worst when it comes to growing anything but weeds. I'm good at that.

Jules said...

I love lobelia... especially mixed in a potted planter with bacopa. So pretty and very feminine looking. Dainty. Great for a hanging pot. :O)

Diane Lowe said...

Thanks Jules!

The Lobelia has finally sprouted, and the rose has started to bud, so hopefully that pot will look really nice once everything has grown in.