Monday, December 18, 2006

Adventure - Grauman's Chinese Theater

This weekend I went to Hollywood to check out Grauman's Chinese Theater and the Kodak Theater.

Grauman's is really a sight to see. Get away from Hollywood Blvd (and the mimes and impersonators), and you'll see a truly fantastic piece of architecture. Of course, in the courtyard you can see the hand and shoe impressions of influential movie stars, such as Humphrey Bogart, Clark Gable, Deborah Kerr, Marilyn Monroe, Clint Eastwood, Gary Cooper, Jack Nicholson, Ava Gardner, Sophia Loren, Henry Fonda, Dick Van Dyke, Steven Spielburg, Sean Connery, John Wayne, and Cary Grant (and many others). You can place your hands and feet into the impressions.

In retrospect, seeing those cement slabs was kind of creepy. Here, some famous dead person once put their hand, and now I can put my hand where their hand once was.

The Kodak Theater was very nice. Basically, it's a (fairly average) mall surrounding a movie theater. They had a Swarovski crystal store there, with some obviously gorgeous (and expensive!) pieces. While I was looking for the restroom someone set off the fire alarm and I decided to leave before they evacuated everyone (although I'm fairly certain it was just someone playing a prank). I'd like to go to the Chinese New Year Spectacular next year, but I think that requires more money than I'm able to afford (for a decent seat, anyway). Maybe in '08.

2 comments:

don said...

Ticket prices don't look too bad. I bet that would be a great show even if you don't have a great seat. Gott a get a guy to spring for it! My manager is taking me to the figure skating championships here as her husband won't go with her. I've never been too big on figure skating before but to be there in person will be cool. We got tickets as we did some graphics in trade. I'm pretty excited about it.

Diane Lowe said...

Ahh, that's what I should do.

I'm currently working my charms on Trader Joe's guy, but I get the feeling he's much more skilled in the charming arena than myself. Plus, he's a college student and wouldn't have the ready cash to spring for an event like that on such short notice.

But maybe I'll be able to find someone else at, say, New Year's, that would be able to take me. :)

I'd love to see figure skating live! I'm so jealous! :)