Thursday, December 21, 2006

Two Ways

Going home from work there are two ways I could go: PCH or 405. Both ways take about the same amount of time (and the 405 way usually takes about five minutes longer). The PCH route has lots of lights and the 405 route is, well, it's the 405. To me the 405 route doesn't "feel" as long, even though timewise it doesn't matter. I'm less stressed when I get home if I take the 405, which does matter.

Last night a friend invited me to go to a Tarot reading. It wasn't so much a professional reading as a bunch of people reading each others' cards in hopes of becoming better readers. But I did get my cards read by the "psychic" there and she gave me some interesting (and surprisingly relevant) insights into my life.

My friend has a theory regarding the Tarot that, logically, makes a lot of sense. The short version of the theory is that the cards have enough latent symbolism that when combined with intuition can create a reading that is relevant for the person whose cards are being read. This is akin to the strategy of opening the Bible (or any favorite book) to a random page, picking a verse/sentence and extrapolating something useful from it.

While I don't believe the Tarot is something magical, I do believe that some people have better intuition than others, and this intuition can help people "see" things about themselves they would otherwise not see. I think this is a better way of looking at the Tarot than to think it's something magical, evil, or spiritual.

3 comments:

don said...

I can't even imagine what it must be like to drive around down there. I wonder how long it takes you and if you have a good place to park, and if parking costs you extra?

I had a girlfriend in highschool who was into Tarot cards.

The Wordpecker said...

I have to confess I own a deck of Tarot cards. I feel "dirty" when I break them out and ask 'em a question so I don't use them often. Maybe that has something to do with my Christian upbringing.

By the way, I agree with your friend's theory on latent symbolism. I think we all know the answers to our deepest questions we just need different tools to pull them from our subconscience.

Diane Lowe said...

Parking depends on the place. Most of the shopping plazas and the malls have free parking, but most street and garaged parking cost something.

I read something this weekend at a Border's (or was it Barnes & Noble?) regarding writing and our subconscience: even if we aren't thinking about something, our subconscience is working on it and we probably will have brilliant insights into our writing (and lives) if we just let our minds do their thing.