Friday, December 08, 2006

The Trader Joe's Ego Boost

While I've had several relationships, and found my partners attractive, I never thought any of my boyfriends were heart-throb gorgeous. Most of them were pretty average-looking. I think how a potential partner looks matter more to men than to women. In high school, all the extremely attractive guys were either dating other gals or they weren't interested in me (or they didn't express interest in me if they were). My point is that I've never had an instance where someone I found uber-handsome also found me attractive and say something about it. I tend to think extremely good-looking guys are out of my league.

On my way home from work last night I decided to stop at a Trader Joe's near my apartment and get some salad and frozen enchiladas (which a gal at work recommended I try). It was super busy, and I picked a line that didn't seem too long. If you know me you know I'm generally friendly to people who work in stores and restaurants. Their jobs are hard enough they don't need to be hassled by customers.

I find many different men attractive, and one particular "look" that makes my heart beat faster I like to call "Californian": tall, caucasian, blond-haired, blue-eyed, with an athletic build and lightly tanned. A relaxed, happy attitude usually goes with it.

So the line I happened to pick was headed by a checker who was a perfect example of the Californian. As he was bagging groceries for the customer in line before me he mentioned it was almost time for him to get off work.

As he started to scan my basket of items I asked him the question I ask all checkers,

"Hello! How are you?"
"I'm good; did you just get off work?"
"Yeah, I'm going to go home and relax."
"That's what I'm going to do, kick back on the sofa and watch a movie."
"That sounds nice."
"Yeah, I'll probably have some wine." (I felt that, being a good salesman, he was trying to get me to buy a bottle of wine. I didn't have any wine in my basket because I have two-and-a-half bottles at home)
"Oh, I have lots of wine at home." (I obviously wasn't seeing where this was going.)
"That's good!"

There was a lull in the conversation while I paid him for my groceries and he started to bag them.

I asked him, "What movie are you going to watch?"
"I don't know. What kind of movies do you like? Comedy, horror. . . "

It was only halfway through my answer that I realized he was flirting with me. I'm really slow on the pickup. Or maybe I just had a long day.

"Uh, I watch a lot of drama, actually. But I also enjoy comedies."
"No horror?"
"No, I don't like horror films." (I really don't)
"That's what I'm there for!"
"Oh, well, in that case I'll rent Saw III! Have a good night!"
"Take it easy gorgeous!"

The fact that, for possibly the first time in my life, a man I found highly attractive not only flirted with me but also complimented my looks when we first met made me feel really good. Exceedingly shallow, but definitely an ego boost.

I suspect that this will cause me to spend more money at Trader Joe's in hopes of getting into the Californian's line. I wonder if he thought about me after work or if he's that flirty with all the ladies.

No comments: