Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Change of Course

I'm continually impressed with the bits of Life Wisdom I find in "The Penguin" articles. I don't subscribe to Runner's World anymore, but I visit the site every once in a while to see if there's anything new that I feel compelled to read.

Change of Course

From the article:
"When that day doesn't turn out as we expected, we often allow ourselves to be devastated. I've seen runners on the brink of a breakdown because they missed their self-imposed standard of performance. But a day is just a day. A race is just a race. It is our selfishness, our self-centeredness that creates the disappointments that we too often let define us."

I know of a couple things I could apply this to. My love life, my social life, my general life aspirations.

Now, the how of applying this is what I need to learn.

3 comments:

don said...

I've seen the same thing in cycling. Out on the road, things change, and you become happy just to finish the day and look forward to the next ride.

Time Traveller said...

A day is just a day, a race is just a race. There will be other days and races.

A bad day is just a bad day, A bad relationship is just a bad relationship. There will be other days and relatinships.

I read runnersworld.co.uk :)

I subscribed to it when training for the half marathon, but I found now that there's only so much you can learn about running from a magazine. I still visit the site though.

Diane Lowe said...

Example in point:

I started running on the treadmill again last night after almost two months off (I am seeing a chiropractor and laid off the running while my neck was getting fixed). I thought for sure I was only going to be able to run for 10 minutes before I would have to stop and walk.

I set the treadmill for 30 minutes, as was my habit, and walked for 5 for my warmup.

I ran the other 25 with no problem, totally surprising myself.

It was a good run.

I used to subscribe to Runner's World, but I just don't have the time to read it anymore.