Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Public Transportation Fascination

I think I've developed an unhealthy fascination with the Metro Rail in Los Angeles.

It all started with an afternoon jaunt from Pasadena to Hollywood, and now I'm constantly trying to incorporate the Metro in my daily life. Unfortunately, the only public transportation available to me currently is the bus system, as the light-rail hasn't been extended very far into South Bay yet.

I'll have to take photos and share, but the Metro is much cleaner than I thought it would be, not to mention quiet and cheaper. A day pass runs $5.00. I'll spend at least that much in gas trying to drive from South Bay to Pasadena.

I've been considering moving to downtown in the next year or so. If I do, I could buy a TAP card, recharge it every month, and take the Metro to work, saving even more money. That would be cool. Timewise it would probably be a little longer than driving, but I would be able to incorporate around two miles of walking a day that I don't currently get, plus not have to deal with the stress of traffic. If USC accepts my graduate application, I would be able to take the subway to school too. (My plan B was to go to Loyola Marymount, which would require driving.)

Los Angeles is the first city I've lived in with a light-rail/subway transit system. I remember going on holiday to Europe or the Washington D.C. area and being in awe with the whole process of procuring a ticket, waiting for the train, and getting on it. The idea of being able to orchestrate a situation where the novel becomes the ordinary takes my breath away.

3 comments:

Krista said...

I'm glad you are fascinated by the metro so far. Let me tell you it wears off very quickly. Maybe its because I'm a control freak, but I started hating the fact that I had to rely on public transportation in NYC. But I did love the fact that I wasn't adding pollution to the air and its definitely cheaper than paying for gas. Plus you can read or do something besides being stressed about traffic.

don said...

I rode BART in SF years ago, but the best example of something like that I've been on is the bus system in Park City Utah. I realize that's a very small thing in a small resort town, but it worked great and it was "free". It reduced cars, almost everyone used it from locals to visitors, and it really left an impression on me on how a transit system could work. It was really nice to not have to rely on a car with all of that expense and still go anywhere you needed. I loved it.

Diane Lowe said...

I used the Metro to commute yesterday, and didn't think it was too bad. . .

It does seem to take a little bit longer to go where I want to, but on the other hand it is really cheap and I can park for free at the stations I would want to use.

It was really nice not having to worry about traffic too.