Saturday, December 13, 2008

Twilight and Why I Will Not See It

If 'Twilight' was 10 Times Shorter and 100 Times More Honest

Really? There are plenty of really great movies to see this Fall. I know I haven't been keeping up on my movie reviews, but I've seen several great films.

Quantum of Solace
Changeling
Burn After Reading
Tropic Thunder

A Mediocre One:
Appaloosa

Ones I Haven't Seen But Want To:
Duchess
Frost/Nixon
Milk

One I Haven't Seen But Heard Some Good Things About:
Australia

Upcoming I Want To See:
Spirit - The next Frank Miller adaptation happens to be a noir. Oh yeah.
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Brad Pitt growing younger?
The Reader - Kate Winslet and Ralph Fiennes struggle with illiteracy and Nazism all in the same film!
Shanghai - I know nothing about this except John Cusack, Gong Li and Chow Yun-Fat are in it. And that's enough. :)

Hell, if you want something light and fluffy, I wouldn't even mind seeing Marley & Me! There are so many better films out there to watch!

This quote from the article sums up exactly why Twilight disgusts me so much:
"So, the next generation of young women are currently flocking to see a female lead starring in a movie by a female director based on a bestselling book by a female author, and in this movie the main character wants to become completely submissive and self-sacrificing for a male."
Yuck! I do enough self-sacrificing in my relationships that I don't need it to be glorified for me on the silver screen.

No comments: