Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Dinner For 1 - Chili

Oh no, I thought. I was late getting out of CostCo and the chili would have been in the crock-pot for almost 11 hours by the time I got home. I was worried the chili would be ruined.

On the other hand, if I did ruin the chili I did have this massive pizza I could cut a slice out of and bake. My mom gave me this idea of buying a CostCo take-n-bake pizza, slicing it, and freezing individual slices to bake whenever I felt the craving.

No, I didn't ruin the chili. It actually didn't turn out too bad. A bit mild, for my taste, but I can just add more spice the next time I make it.

1) In the morning, before you go to work, take out the half pound of browned ground beef from last night. Put that in your small (1-1/2 quart) crock-pot with 2/3 can of pinto beans (mash the rest with some garlic and olive oil - or bacon grease - and heat for refried beans later), 2/3 can of diced tomatoes, and half a can of tomato sauce. No, I don't know what to do with the tomatoes. Make more marinara, I suppose.
2) Add some chopped onion and chili pepper. I used one serrano without the seeds. I might add the seeds next time. Add a TB of chili powder, 1/2 tsp of oregano, and 1/4 tsp of cumin. Add some garlic powder if you don't want to mince a clove, and salt and pepper to taste.
3) Wait between 6-8 hours. Obviously, this is an estimate, because it was almost 11 hours before I was able to get home and try the chili out.
4) Eat. Top with more chopped onion or grated cheese if you like.

No comments: