Wednesday, January 07, 2009

I Cut Up My First Chicken Today

It was a learning experience. No, I didn't take photos. I was too busy making puzzled, frustrated faces. It wasn't bad until I had to figure out how to get the backbone out, and split the two breasts from each other.

Don't laugh. I bet it was difficult your first time too.

There were crunchy sounds, which I expected but didn't know how bad it would really be. And there was some, "How the hell?!?" going on too.

I consulted Cooking For Engineers. The pictures were helpful. GourmetSleuth was helpful too, but I was stuck at step 5 and couldn't figure it out between the photos, the description, and what I had sitting in front of me.

I screwed up when I cut the one thigh away and accidentally cut into the breast. Good thing I'll probably be the one eating it.

I was supposed to cut up two chickens tonight but I think I'll do the other one tomorrow. This was enough of a learning experience for me.

My two rays of enlightenment:
1) Use kitchen sheers to remove the backbone. It's the best way.
2) When you get stuck with the two breasts, just cut right through. Don't try to figure out why there's a weird 3-d puzzle somewhere in all of those ribs and meat. Just cut it in half, clean everything up, and call it good.

3 comments:

don said...

:) I'm not laughing...

Good for you. I usually don't break them down that far as I like to roast the breast and back all in one piece.

Krista said...

That makes me nauseous to think of the crunchy sound. Good luck with the cooking. I have a similar goal this year.

Diane Lowe said...

I couldn't bear to cut up the other chicken. He was just too intimidating.

So I roasted the whole bird and it turned out pretty tasty. Stuff two halved lemons and a couple sprigs of rosemary in the bird, roast at 400 degrees for around an hour and fifteen minutes. I basted with olive oil every 10-15 minutes, and it turned out perfect.

Krista - the crunchy sound wasn't fun at all. I hope you have good luck with cooking this year too!