Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Dinner For 1 - Salmon Salad

CostCo has these frozen salmon fillets. Get some. They make cooking dinner so much easier. The fillets are individually wrapped and can be defrosted under a running tap for 15 minutes. Remove the fillet from the package and pat dry with a paper towel.

I bake mine at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, but they can just as easily be grilled or pan-fried. I tend to just season the fillets with salt and pepper, but they could be easily dressed up.

Prepackaged salad is easy and keeps for a few days, although I've heard if you take care of whole lettuce right it's a bit cheaper. I don't eat much salad, so I usually get something like the Spring Mix. Adding chopped parsley or other herbs makes it interesting. I like tossing my salad with a handful of dried cranberries or chopped nectarine (when it's in season).

Because I don't eat much salad, I tend to not have salad dressing at home. I make a vinaigrette with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, although I've also made one with lemon juice and olive oil.

Assemble the salad, then top with the cooked salmon fillet. Tonight I also have a side of macaroni and cheese, which I'll cover in a different post.

No comments: