Wednesday, March 11, 2009

New Star Trek TV Series Proposed

(6 is theoretically a lucky number for me. Somehow this seems fitting to be my 600th post.)

Apparently someone, somewhere thinks it would be a good idea to reboot the Star Trek TV series, ala the new Star Trek film. Is there anyone else besides me who thinks this is a bad idea? From the article it sounds like they want to make it campy and silly, which tells me that they missed the point. Yes, there are silly episodes of Star Trek, but that was not the point.

I know I've mentioned this before, if not on the blog somewhere than in conversation. Star Trek is about the future, and not just any future. It's about a future filled with hope, and being decent people. It's about being a decent person and working through very real issues while maintaining decency.

I really enjoyed the Next Generation episode Lower Decks. Someone on the Slashdot thread mentioned Star Trek: Klingon being a great seed for a series. Many of the ideas that center around a captain and his starship (or space station) have been explored, and it would be great to see the same bright future from a different perspective. I'd personally love to see a series based on the Lower Decks episode, or from the Romulan point of view.

If anything I think Paramount should let Star Trek sit for a few more years before trying to revive it. On the other hand, I hope the new movie is successful, if only because it means that there will be a movie or series in the future. It would be awful if the concept was completely abandoned.

No comments: