Thursday, March 05, 2009

Taiwan - February 8, 2008


This morning we went to a temple to pray for a prosperous new year. I was particularly frustrated this morning, mostly over being tired and lacking a clue in general.

Note: I was mostly frustrated at my non-understanding of Taiwanese Buddhist/Ancestor worship rituals. Instead of telling me what was going on, or why we do certain things, I was just told to do something. I really wanted to learn more about my Taiwanese heritage on this trip, and being told to "just do it" without getting any background irritated me to no end.

Sometime in the afternoon we were picked up by an old classmate of my mom's and we went to his house for dinner. His new son-in-law is a pilot for China Airlines and is very happy with Boeing planes, saying they were more reliable than those made by Airbus. (There was a big scandal involving a commercial plane during this time, and I remember it was interesting to get his perspectives on that)
After dinner we went to Lugang where the entire town was decked out in red lanterns. The night market was very crowded and we ended up going through the historical part of town instead.
Returning to my mother's friend's house, we hung out with their family. Their four kids (all adults older than me) interact very harmoniously and it's easy to envy their close relationships. It was definitely a lot of fun watching them play hearts. (Actually it wasn't hearts, I'll have to look it up)

No comments: