Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Taiwan - February 7, 2008


Today we usher in the year of the Rat. According to some online horoscope, this year is supposed to be especially auspicious for me (a pig), with 11 favorable months and 1 unfavorable. With the Taiwanese being particularly superstitious, I think I should at least keep it in mind even though I don't particularly believe in it. Besides, I like the idea of having an awesome year!
I went to dinner at a Mediterranean restaurant with my cousin and his wife. I had "French smoked duck breasts" on noodles in a cream sauce. Western food Chinese-style is overly rich, and slightly strange.

After the restaurant we went to a tea house with a group of my cousin's friends. They ordered a tea latte for me, although others ordered more traditional teas. I did get to sample a couple of the more herbal/medicinal teas, and I think I preferred those to an average tea latte I could get in the States.

One of the teas I sampled (ordered by a guy) was supposed to be very good for women. "That's because my friend is a girl", my cousin teased. It was a good-natured joke.

The photo is of a cup of tea and a "suncake" from Taichung.

No comments: