Monday, February 06, 2006

"You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" at the Vu Continues. . . .

About nine months ago, a fellow and a few of his friends pulled a Tom Cruise in Top Gun and seranaded me at the Vu with "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling". This particular fellow then neglected to ask me for my phone number.

So I'm sitting in Microprocessors lab today, and this guy comes up to me and asks me if I remember him. (Of course I don't; I only met him the one time nine months ago, and I tend to not remember people from chance encounters like that)

And we end up chatting and the whole time I'm trying to find a polite way to be friendly and tell this guy that there's a claim on me, so to speak. This tactful phrase never emerges and I end up giving my phone number to the fellow because he wanted to call me later so we could "hang out".

Which brings to mind the whole male-female friend issue: why is it so hard to determine if someone is interested in you as a friend or truly "interested" in you? And how come there haven't been any books written about this? People are always trying to get a person, keep a person, get rid of a person. No one seems to be trying to get and keep plain ol' friends of the opposite sex.

No comments: