Friday, October 13, 2006

Daily Adventure - Bubble Tea!

When I found out I was moving to California I told everyone the first thing I would do is get myself some Bubble Tea.

Turns out that "first thing" takes a month for me to accomplish!

I ended up going to BobaLoca on the corner of Sepulveda and Crenshaw because Boba Paradise on the corner of Crenshaw and PCH had a "B" food service rating (and I was told to never, ever go to a place that had anything less than an "A"). I must also add that BobaFind isn't completely accurate; there is no Lollicup on Crenshaw (unless it's hidden near Izakaya Yuzen Kan, which is completely possible because I *have* driven past a Home Depot here before and not know it).

I must say I was very happy with my large cup of Bubble Milk Tea with chewy boba in it. Unfortunately they don't have Passionfruit juice, which next to milk tea is my favorite beverage to have floaties in.

Maybe I'll have to go on another quest to find the Passionfruit Juice. Unfortunately West L.A. is where the closest Volcano Tea is located, which is just too far for me. Maybe I'll have to explore the shopping center Izakaya Yuzen Kan is located and hope that Lollicup will magically appear and satisfy my exotic juice craving.

Note: Also check out FuRaiBo on Redondo Beach Blvd. in Gardena. Excellent fried chicken there.

7 comments:

Gunner said...

Linked in carnival..


Why does Chewy boba sound like a Star Wars character?

Diane Lowe said...

I have no idea! :D

"I eat Chewy Boba for lunch!"

Diane Lowe said...

I did forget to describe what Bubble Milk Tea is!

The "boba" is large tapioca that sit at the bottom of the cup. You get an extra big straw to suck them up.

Wikipedia has a page on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubble_tea

Passionfruit juice has both coconut jelly and boba (tapioca) in it. At least that's how I like it. The coconut jelly has a different texture than the boba. I think boba is also referred to as "pearl".

So. "I eat Chewy Pearl for lunch!"

Anonymous said...

Don't be freightened by health inspection ratings. Your own home would probably never score higher than a B.

Besides, exposure to yucky stuff helps build our immune systems.

Diane Lowe said...

I guess most of my fear comes from when I worked in fast food. Your business can live or die on a health inspection rating.

That, and if we really knew how our food was prepared in those places, chances are we probably wouldn't want to go back.

But anyway, a score lower than 90 really is problematic.

Also, Boba Paradise only takes cash, which is a problem for me. My debit card doesn't have any free ATMS in my area.

Anonymous said...

I worked in fast food all through high school and college. It doesn't scare me. Most of my food poisoning has been from home-cooked food.

Diane Lowe said...

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. Most of my food poisoning problems has been through food I didn't make at home (prepackaged, restaurant, fast food, etc).

I have problems eating coleslaw because I was the only one at KFC willing to make it. The fumes from a vat of that stuff can be quite unpleasant.