Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Traffic

One of the things I find incredible here is the traffic. Granted, L.A. is infamous for its bumper-to-bumper traffic on the 405. And yes, the drivers here will pull some insane stunts, for example, cutting across six lanes of heavy traffic to make their exit.

But I think there's also something beautiful about the traffic here, especially at night. An artery of red lights going one way, a vein of white going the other. Automobiles of every shape, size, age and color weaving between one another, flowing faster than the speed limit most of the time.

Do I trust this guy behind me to let me in this other lane? How soon should I start thinking about getting into the right lane for my exit? Should I signal? If I signal will he close the gap?

It's all very intricate, like dancing. Which reminds me I haven't elaborated on my tango lesson yet. I learned a lot that night, about dancing, about following, about trust, about relationships in general. One particular man was very helpful in teaching me some of these things.

"Lean on me," he whispers. "No, no, lean on me. That's better."
"Don't anticipate. If you anticipate it's like dancing by yourself."
"Perfect! That's perfect! You are going to be good."

What I find truly incredible is that, once you trust the fellow you're dancing with, it becomes much easier. He wants you to do "the ochos", he is going to twist your hips and hold you in a way that it's very simple to accomplish. Dancing becomes more fluid, more beautiful.

You never learn that in the movies.

3 comments:

don said...

Perhaps in our cars we have become part of one large organism consisting of many different living/ mechanized cells moving in concert, but without a common destination.

Diane Lowe said...

Hmm. We can take that one step further and say that life is one large organism consisting of many different individuals moving in concert, with death as the final destination.

Maybe that's a little too dark for a Tuesday.

don said...

I wasn't really thinking death as the destination, I was kind of thinking life.

Perhaps we are like the Borg. Living organisms with mechanical prosthetics (cars) allowing mobility. The organism would have a life of it's own, and the body would be more important than any one cell.

And I was thinking that some cells would die along the way and new ones would enter. But the organism would ramble on consuming everything in it's path, It's host body, our planet. And only when our planet dies, then so does the organism.

The steam of cars is beautiful as it is a reflection of life. Life is beautiful. (or ugly depending on your viewpoint) Sadly, life is not within our complete control.

However, you have the world by the butt! You have taken control! You are a beautiful young woman in one of the most exciting cities on the planet. Enjoy! :)