Saturday, February 17, 2007

Movie Review - Breach

For the first time in weeks I had a whole night to fly solo, and boy did I have fun! Happy hour with some friends from work, a great massage, and a chance to go to a new movie!

Breach opened tonight, and I have to say this was the spy movie that The Good Shepherd was not. Chris Cooper pulled a great performance as FBI mole Robert Hanssan, and every time I see Ryan Phillippe on screen I'm more impressed with him. He has an "All American" look and almost-naive quality that makes him perfect for the role of Eric O'Neill, despite the fact that he's less experienced an actor than Cooper or Laura Linney. "Rougher around the edges" is more what I would call it; he's going to be an actor to watch.

There is a slight amount of commentary regarding the intelligence hole the U.S. Intel Community was experiencing at the time (February 2001). The most significant line in this commentary is said by Cooper early in the film, "Cooperation is counter-operational". The commentary wasn't heavy handed, and to a certain extent helped the film.

I really enjoyed this film - it brings a whole new light on spying, lying and the wacky wiring some people have inside their heads.

1 comment:

The Wordpecker said...

Funny...ever since I saw the trailer for this, I've wanted to see it and knew that I'd be able to count on you for a review.

Sounds like it's a winner.

I'll have to make a point of
seeing it in the theatre.

Thanks for coming through with another movie review!