Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Movie Review - The Prestige

I really enjoyed this movie. On the surface, it's a movie about one-upsmanship, revenge, and obsession. Beneath, it's about the duplicity of character, truth, and what happens to relationships when deception is involved. Wow.

But, if you know anything about this movie, you already know all of this.

I already enjoy watching Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale act, and I'm a fan of Scarlett Johansson as well. Let's throw in Michael Caine and Andy Serkis too. And David Bowie as Nikola Tesla. To top it off let's point out the fact it's an adaptation of the award-winning novel of the same name.

Although there were a few things that stretch the imagination a little (OK, a lot) and the ending leaves the viewer somewhat unsatisfied (I was rooting for Hugh Jackman all the way to the end), the movie as a whole is excellent. Both magicians in the movie probably walk the Dark Side. But then, our society has a soft spot for the anti-hero, so I guess that's OK.

Plot twists are abundant, and I think the last time I enjoyed a thriller so much was probably when What Lies Beneath released.

This is an enjoyable, accessible movie to watch at night with lots of your favorite movie-watching snacks (air-popped popcorn with extra butter. . . yeah I know I'll pay for it one of these days).

No comments: