Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Seattle Trip Summary

I went to Seattle for the 4th, and stayed through until Sunday. It was a great trip!

The 4th - I went to the Gasworks' Fireworks show, officially called the WaMu Family 4th at Lake Union. It was FANTASTIC. I think the website has a link to the televised broadcast of this year's show.
The 5th - I went to Pike's Place Market, The Space Needle, and the Science Fiction Museum. I ended up going to the Space Needle by myself, which I don't recommend. It's almost a waste of 20 bucks. The evening of the 5th was Open Access Night (sponsered by Boeing) and admission to the Science Fiction Museum and the Experience Music Project is free. Pike's Place Market has some truly fabulous peaches right now.
The 6th - We drove up to Everett to see the Future of Flight Aviation Center & Boeing Tour. Boeing and Microsoft are huge presences in Western Washington.
The 7th - Woodland Park Zoo. There's a rose garden not far from the South Entrance to the zoo, which I recommend checking out. We didn't find many fragrant varieties, but it was definitely worth seeing so many blooms in one place. The zoo was fabulous and the entry fee completely worth it for the butterfly exhibit alone. The siamangs they have there are also impressive.

2 comments:

don said...

Did you go out to eat? Seattle has some great places to eat.

Diane Lowe said...

Oh yeah! We did go out to eat.

We stayed at this quaint hostel-type place called Campus Inn, on University and 40th. It wasn't bad (they even have free internet!) but I didn't get very good sleep there; someone was doing maintenance outside and the noise would wake me up.

There's a fish-and-chips place on University that has yummy fried oysters. Actually, there are a lot of cool shops on University that I recommend checking out: a well-stocked used bookstore called Twice Sold Tales on the corner of 45th, and Shiga's One World Shop. Shiga's has a huge variety of Japanese stuff to spend your money on, including nice china, go sets, hello kitty and bento box stuff, etc. I was tempted to buy some go bowls and another bento box, but I refrained.

There's a large Vietnamese presence and I went to a great little place in downtown (not sure where) that served very good Pho.

I recommend checking out Bobachine (I think it's a chain). You can get Bubble Tea slightly sweetened (it's usually intensely sweetened).

We tried to check out Bimbo's Bitchin' Burritos on Capitol Hill, but it's out of business. We went to a Mexican restaurant on Broadway (near Dilettante chocolates) that had excellent Margaritas. We also went to Dilettante chocolates, which was divine. Capitol Hill is also known as the "gay district"; we saw a guy in a spandex Superman costume. That was interesting.

I also went to the three major coffee chains in Seattle (coffee in Seattle is supposed to be better than coffee in the rest of the country, or at least taste different). Seattle's Best comes in first, closely followed by Tully's, and Starbucks is a lagging third. I bought a tall vanilla latte at all three establishments and self-sprinkled cinnamon on top. Tully's has the unique advantage in that they have a cinnamon grinder instead of the standard shaker.

I'll blog photos, more details, later.