Sunday, April 20, 2008

Aioli

I was reminded of my own mother's homemade mayonnaise by Molly Wizenberg's article, Mayo Clinic last month. I vaguely remember my mom making mayonnaise during my childhood for things like potato salad and sandwiches.

While I can't remember her recipe, I do remember she insisted on using olive oil and dry mustard. (My memory is flaky on the olive oil part, but very solid on the dry mustard part) The bright, lemony top-note mellows quickly into the taste of raw oil on the bottom-note (to use perfumer's terms) and is definitely not like anything that comes in a blue-capped plastic container.

So here it is. Add a crushed garlic clove for extra zing.

1 large or extra large egg yolk
2 1/2 tsp - 1 TB lemon juice
1/4-1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil

Combine the egg yolk, lemon juice, mustard and salt in a mini food processor. Blend until bright yellow, about 30 seconds. Add the oil slowly, a spoonful at a time to begin with, until the oil is incorporated and the mayonnaise is thick.

I've made this for potato and chicken salads. . . I can only imagine what it would do for tuna salad or a regular sandwich. Including a garlic clove and pepper, served next to a steamed artichoke, would be close to divine.

2 comments:

don said...

I must try this

Diane Lowe said...

Yes, yes you must! :)