Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Restaurant Review - El Toro Cantina

I almost forgot that I promised to write about my experience here.

El Toro Cantina was definitely a happenin' spot the Friday night I was there, and we had a big group (something like 21, 22 people). They make their own tortillas for their gourmet tacos (I had the duck confit and coconut crispy shrimp). The guest of honor teased me about my selections and asked if I was writing a review for a magazine! Not quite. . . . .

This is the 2nd place I've found that will make a "from scratch" mojito. Let me tell you, there's nothing quite so delicious on this earth as a refreshing, sparkly, slightly sweet drink as a well-made mojito.

They passed around "kamikaze" shots at the end of dinner for us to toast the birthday fellow. I rarely (if ever) do shots and this was my first kamikaze. I'd like to say that it was probably well-made, lemony and sweet. Probably not good for an after-dinner aperitif, but for a 20s-something crowd it was great.

After dinner we went next door/upstairs to Busby's, which, among other things like pool tables and dart boards, has a pretty awesome separate dance floor and dj. Although the music was probably on the loud side (I couldn't hear my car stereo when I drove home that night), it was great to go out dancing - something I haven't done in over a year.

No comments: