Sunday, July 19, 2009

Recipe - Just Oatmeal

I've come to respect a decent oatmeal. Not the mushy, gummy instant stuff. But something hearty, like Silver Palate's Thick and Rough (that's what she said?) Oatmeal. It's pretty expensive compared to the tub of Quaker Oats, but it's so worth it. It holds its own against fruits, nuts, and other oatmeal additions.

Here's how I've been making mine recently:

1 c. water
1/3 c. oatmeal
2 TB dried blueberries
2 TB dried cranberries
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 TB brown sugar (I have no honey, otherwise I'd use that. But it probably doesn't need any additional sweetener.)

I eyeball the amount of dried berries; it's a small palmful each. I also eyeball the amount of cinnamon (just sprinkle enough in to look good) and sugar (one heaping spoonful).

Boil the water, then sprinkle in the oatmeal and berries. Turn the heat to low and simmer 10 minutes. Add the cinnamon and sugar, then consume!

No comments: