Sunday, September 20, 2009

Recipe - Greek-Style Stuffed Peppers


I made something like this a few weeks ago with my new boyfriend. We had a lot of fun, and the food was really tasty. This is a good "team effort" recipe that allows for breaks and "downtime". I would also hope that it's really hard to screw up.

My problem is that I don't have an oven in my apartment, and I've yet to be motivated enough to get propane for my grill (now THAT would be REALLY tasty!). So I've altered the recipe to suit my devious purposes. If you *do* have an oven and want to try out the original recipe, do note that a lot of people have found it to be a bit bland, and suggest to double the seasonings.

Greek-Style Stuffed Peppers
1/2 c. diced onion
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 - 1 lb lean ground meat (preferably beef; I used 2/3 lb leftover bison from my parents' visit)
1 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp oregano
1 c. cooked brown rice
1 can diced tomatoes
2 large bell peppers
1/4 c. crumbled feta cheese, plus more for topping

In a large saute pan, saute the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the meat and brown. Add the pepper, oregano, rice, and tomatoes. Cook until most of the liquid is either evaporated or absorbed by the rice.

Meanwhile, either halve the peppers or cut the tops off of them, and scoop out the seeds and membranes. Boil some water (may add some salt if you want) and add the peppers. Cook for 3-5 minutes, depending on how soft you like them cooked. Drain the peppers.

Incorporate the cheese into the filling mixture, and then fill the peppers with the filling. Sprinkle additional feta on top of the peppers (I ran out, which is why you see no feta garnish in my photo) and consume with extreme prejudice.

I suspect this takes about an hour from start to finish, and is well worth the effort expended.

3 comments:

Gunner said...

I agree that brown rice is so much better then white rice for dishes like this. I do like basmati for many dishes that I make that uses graviews, but for ones that the rice is mixed in it has to be brown.

Diane Lowe said...

Hey Gunner! Long time no chat!

How are you? Don't be such a stranger! ;)

I can't imagine basmati rice making a better outcome in this recipe. I think the original used quinoa or bulgur or something else I was unfamiliar with, so I decided brown rice would make a good substitution. :)

Gunner said...

I cut my blogging back to just the local community site I write for called "This is Smyrna, TN." (check profile) as I had to finish my degree. I finally finished my BS in Liberal Studies in May and took the sumer slow. I'm starting the process to work towards a masters in history to hopefully end up in a museum.