Friday, September 18, 2009

Wanderlust

Alaska Airlines now charges $25 per piece of checked luggage. To me, this is completely unacceptable. I've wanted to learn how to travel light and be basically as mobile as possible while traveling, but I suppose this has become the final incentive to actually do it.

I recently purchased an Eagle Creek Thrive 65L, which meets the size restrictions for Alaska Airlines' carry-ons. I think the H + W + L dimensions end up being something like 45.8", so it might end up a little large if I tried to take it on a different airline. On the other hand, if I learn to pack light I could compress it a little bit and get away with saying it's not really 45.8" but some other, smaller number.

The Thrive 65L only comes in Eagle Creek's "medium" frame size, which is a pity because my torso length is something like 15" ("short" or "small"). I did e-mail Eagle Creek and suggest they make this in either a women's version (as the woman's fit Thrive 75L is too big to carry-on) or adjustable for a shorter frame.

I've written about my love of Eagle Creek products before. I strongly believe in their packing aids, although it could just be how awesome their marketing team is.

My level of wanderlust was tolerable before I received the backpack; now I feel like I *must* travel somewhere. Rediscover myself and meet new, interesting folks. Eat strange food. Have adventures. Pity my next trip won't be for another month or so, and it's a short trip at that. Any suggestions of where I should go on vacation next summer? I'm thinking Peru or Argentina. . . and I suppose this is only if I don't take a summer class.

If you have the wanderlust and want to travel on the cheap, I suggest checking Travel Independent out. That site has a wealth of information on it.

No comments: