Friday, April 21, 2006

As If I Didn't Have Enough Books Already

My "Literature of the Fantastic" professor wrote a book in 2002 entitled, "Beauty Raises the Dead: Literature and Loss in the Fin de Siècle". Turns out a lot of what's in the book was covered in my "Literature of the Decadence" course I took from him last semester.

Anyway, I thought it would be a nice memento to track down a copy of the book. After all, F had Mark Bowden sign a copy of "Black Hawk Down" after taking one of Bowden's courses at Loyola.

My quest to find a copy of the tome was momentarily sidetracked for the simple fact that it's out of print. It's so out of print that I have yet to locate a copy in the United States. (My professor is obviously not making millions off the royalties)

To my great shock and delighted surprise, I found a copy in Germany (Of all places! Most Decadent literature is French).

For those searching for their own copies of out-of-print tomes, I recommend the following websites:

AddAll - this is where I found my copy of "Beauty Raises the Dead"
AbeBooks - the #1 result from a Google search of "used books"

And for those who share my insatiable bizarre curiosity, Heritage Book Shop & Heritage Bindery not only have an inventory of rare/used books for sale, but restore books as well. So when you need a dozen copies of a "certain yellow book" (reference from "The Picture of Dorian Gray"; if you know anything about Decadent literature you know the tome I refer to) in various bindings and covers, you know who to call.

Hopefully it will make its trans-Atlantic journey without too much hassle.

No comments: