Wednesday, April 05, 2006

The Thing About Chocolate

Tonight I watched "Chocolat" (which I have on DVD), one of my favorite movies. It's actually a great movie to watch during Lent.

I don't remember the last time I watched the movie before that, but it must have been during my pre-Catholic days.

You definitely don't have to be Catholic to enjoy the film, but I think being Catholic (or understanding some aspects of Catholicism) deepens the appreciation of it.

For example, the movie-makers did pay attention to Pere Henri's liturgical garb for the several brief scenes that take place during Mass. (Purple, for penitence during Lent, and White/Gold, for joy/celebration on Easter) I also feel that Pere Henri epitomizes several aspects of a good priest, always kind and tactful. His Easter homily is a very good guideline for Christian living.

If you don't count all of the churchy talk (since "Chocolat" was one of my favorite movies even before converting), there are lots of other little gems in the film.

In the spinning dish, I see a little red cottage on a hill with trees next to it. I have no idea what chocolate that would correspond to, since I love the taste of dark chocolate, as well as truffles and random other yummy bonbons.

Vianne's red heels inspire me to get a pair of my own (although that hasn't happened yet).

I think "Chocolat" is a great promoter of feminism, in a subtle way. To be more specific, I think Vianne's version of feminism is quite possibly the most healthy. This is completely ideological; I definitely don't think all single women should go off roaming the world making chocolate and healing the world's woes. (But there is a certain charm in the idea, no?)

No comments: