Thursday, April 13, 2006

Graduation Neurosis & Diamonds in Chocolate

I've been getting quite paranoid about the whole "after college" leap to reality. I've found an apartment (quite easily and by accident - so I'll attribute that to God's work) that's about $100 less than what I'm spending now for a roof and someplace warm to sleep at night. I haven't found a job yet; I'm praying that this real-time trader position I've heard about will go through. I know I don't have all the stuff they want but I do have a lot of what they're looking for.

I've calculated that I could barely, barely make it in Butte if I found a full-time position making $7.50 an hour (before taxes). If I got this part-time, real-time trader job I'd be making around $60,000 a year. That's $5,000 a month. I could easily live off that in Butte, plus save around $2,000 a month (or invest!) and buy a new car, as well as make a nice dent in my college loans, hopefully paying them off early. Let's not forget that I'll have oodles of time off, which means I can keep my apartment nice, make quilts for friends (I'm weird that way), and get back into running.

I'm worth $60,000 a year, right? Right? I've been so disappointed with Career Services (who are supposed to be helping me find a job - hell, I'm indirectly paying them to find me a job if you want to get down to it), and I have no job experience (not that I want to be a software engineer, but everyone seems to want experience). But I got this degree, damnit! That has to be worth something to someone, somewhere.

I don't like owing people (loans, the one credit card I was foolish enough to get) money. But more than that, I don't like not knowing how I'm going to make rent, or feed myself in June.

No comments: