Saturday, August 19, 2006

Book Signing: His Favorite Wife

Today at Barnes & Noble (I should own stock in the store) there was a book signing for His Favorite Wife: Trapped In Polygamy, by Susan Ray Schmidt. Susan was warm, open, and very gracious. We started talking a little bit about polygamy, and I mentioned I was an ex-mormon. She seemed surprised and really opened up about the emotional abuses that face women who are LDS or live in mormon-related splinter groups.
Weirdly enough, she's lived in Cedar City, Utah (where I used to live) and part of her book takes place there.
I've skimmed through her book, and she isn't throwing a pity party or begging for attention. She told me that many people asked her why she wrote the book, which surprised me because you'd think it's a story that needs to be told.
I definitely don't try to focus on mormon issues here, but I do point them out when I feel compelled to. Polygamy, as mormon fundamentalist groups define it, is based on the core doctrines of the LDS religion. I don't care what any mainstream mormon says; "we don't practice it anymore", "they don't practice it the way Joe Smith would have", etc. That's all pure bull shit in the most concentrated form. Spritually practicing polygamy, as mainstream mormons do (just take a look at their rules concerning men and women regarding temple marriage) is just as screwed up as actual polygamy. If you don't practice something anymore, take it off the books. And Joseph Smith was a horny old goat. If you don't think polygamy back then was the same as polygamy now, you're deluding yourself.
As long as polygamy is around, women are going to be physically and emotionally abused. I pray that Utah will wake up to that someday and do something about it.

6 comments:

don said...

My aunt was the child of a second wife. She ran away from home when she was young because of the conditions, but she never left LDS. I heard about this second wife thing when I was a kid but just assumed it was out of divorce or didn't think about it at all as I was so small.

I grew up as a Presbyterian, and I would play with my mormon cousins when our families were together. It was kind of odd however at times if religion came up with the adults, but kids have a way overcoming differences.

I might pick up that book. It sounds interesting. I was sort of wondering about your experience with LDS. I haven't heard about that many people who leave LDS. I only know one.

I'm curious what brought you to Twin Falls? I had assumed that you must be from Utah or Southern Idaho. (I hope my rants on Idaho haven't offended you. Idaho is one of my favorite states.)

Diane Lowe said...

Basically, my parents had an empty house in Twin Falls that I'm squatting in until I start my new job!
My dad is from Southern Idaho originally; I'm from California originally, but went to high school in Utah.
I would be more than happy to share my experiences with the LDS religion with you, but would rather do it by e-mail. If you could leave your e-mail address by way of comment, I'll e-mail you at that address and not publish the comment. That way you won't be posting your e-mail for everyone to see.

Anonymous said...

just looking up this book. i know the author and am having a book signed by her this week, as i couldn't make it to the signing. i'm hearing wonderful things about it, and i can't wait. i come from a huge LDS family. 26 grandchildren... i'm the only one who's not LDS.

Diane Lowe said...

Miah and Arizona Expositor, thanks for stopping by! (and Don is always welcome to stop by!)

I actually lent the book out to my uncle, so I haven't read it yet. I did skim the book, and have been impressed with it so far.

Expositor, I'm glad you got out of Colorado City alive (and un-brainwashed)! I definitely don't want to be a veteran of that experience!

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful book! Great story and very well written. I couldn't put it down and feel the urge to know more. I'd like to meet this woman. Any idea when she will be doing another book signing and where?

Diane Lowe said...

Anon, I don't know when she's doing another book signing, but she lives in the Twin Falls, ID area.

She was very gracious, and was kind enough to share with me her opinions on LDS polygamy and the LDS religion in general.

Her story is an important one, and I'm so glad that she shared it with the world.