Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Spinning Against Glass

Today, I decided to take the advice of my physician from last November and get serious about losing a few pounds. Actually, according to the personal trainer I spoke with yesterday, 20 pounds is not an unrealistic goal for me. (And I thought I was so svelte)

So I decided to take a spinning class, since the hip hop class I wanted to take last night was cancelled. Spinning, for those who don't know, involves a variable resistance stationary bike. The instructor tells the class to raise or lower the resistance to simulate hills. Some say you can burn upwards of 900 calories (which in my limited research is almost a pound of fat - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Not a bad way to drop the weight. Not to mention biking is a complementary exercise to running; it helps balance the leg muscles out.

Let's say intense is a mild word for the exercise.

About half-way through, my head kicked in with the mental games I'm so used to getting when I run (which is why I haven't been able to complete - or compete - in a 5k yet).

"This is too hard"

"I can't do this"

"Why are you doing this to me?"

"Stop! Please stop! I'll feel better if you do!"

Et cetera.

Since the instructor was yelling at me (at the entire class, really, but it feels personal) to get up off my seat and turn the resistance up, I decided I was more afraid of the instructor than of falling off the bike.

And then the (simple) realization hit me in that darkened room when lactic acid coursed through my muscles: of all the things I've done, of all the things I've completed, of the glass ceilings I've broken, the biggest glass ceiling of all was the one in my own head.

Hopefully, today I chipped at that ceiling in a big way.

5 comments:

don said...

I think I would have a tough time in one of those classes and I cycle a lot. It takes a couple of weeks to even get "up to speed" with cardio on a bike. Try haning in there for a while. They should bring you up slowly, but I realize they don't do this. Just go at your own pace and ignore the instructor until you can get comfortable. You have nothing to prove. He or she can yell at you all they want just go your own pace and bring it up when you can.

Diane Lowe said...

There is an intro to spinning class, but it's on Saturday mornings and I didn't want to wait.

Another note - your triceps get a great workout (although I'm not sure if they were supposed to or not).

don said...

I've never taken a spinning class but I've heard horror stories. I suspect many people don't do it again as the first experience is so harsh. In my case, my riding position and saddle fit is so important to me, (perhaps I am a difficult person :) I think I'd have a hard time on one of those bikes. Mostly the saddle. I'm very connected to my saddle. At the start of each season it takes me a couple of weeks to get my bum used to the saddle again. But now I don't even notice it.

I have a friend who has a ranch south of Dillon. I'm sure you've gone right past it. It is at Dell. I rode a horse there a few years ago and never even got saddle sore. I think it was because of all my time on the bike.

And yes your arms get a workout as they take the force of your body while standing up.

Anyway I think that is great. There are some very fit people out there doing that sort of thing. I dropped 15 lbs this summer on the bike. Part of it due to getting sick. But I'll fatten up in the winter for ski racing.

Diane Lowe said...

Let's say I'm still sore from the saddle on the bike, and leave it at that. They are not comfortable.

I was mostly just trying new things out, but I'll probably return to spinning once in a while. They play great music, and it's not as frilly as other group cardio classes.

don said...

Yeah, they aren't comfortable at first and it is very important to get one that fits exactly right or it will never be comfortable and will always hurt you. I'm so used to mine now that I don't like riding a different bike as it can screw me up for a week.

Good cycling shorts are also really important. They have a padding thing in them that really works. They are kind of like a swim suit in that you don't wear underwear with them. (not something everyone knows) I've been using $60 ones. But the really nice ones are over $100.

Do a search for Gita Bike. They have some nice Giordana clothing for women. Fun to just look at the styles even if you don't buy. Really nice stuff.