Thursday, August 24, 2006

Lost Angels

I've been offered a job with the company I interviewed with in July, and so I've been busy getting ready to relocate and learning the new lingo, forms, etc. I'm really lucky; the company is completely paying for my relocation and I'm itching to get out of the gate and start.
I finally receive my corporate credit card today (they seem to give me a lot of responsibility right off the bat. . .is that a wise decision?), and I start to fill out the travel request form for my temporary lodging before I move into my new place (which hasn't been determined yet!).
What do I put in as "location" of the hotel? "Lost Angeles".

Because the library computers are dumbed down on the privileges, I couldn't save the form to the desktop with a document I just opened. (Don't ask) So I had to redownload the form directly to the desktop, and then open it, fiddle, and save. What do I type in as "location" of the hotel? "Lost Angeles".

Granted, the last time I was there I was very intimidated about driving there. But I ordered a Rand McNally street guide to Los Angeles county and maybe, just maybe, I'll have somewhat of a clue when I get there. But maybe my typos are a not-so-subtle hint-to-self about how country-mouse I really am.

On a slightly different subject, I was talking to an old college buddy on the phone last night. I mentioned the new job, where I was going, etc. and he asked me, "You're not going to bleach your hair blonde, are you?" The short answer: no.

4 comments:

don said...

Once again, Congratulations! How exciting! I hope you blog about experiences in the big city. I know that I would be very lost.

Diane Lowe said...

Thanks!

I will definitely blog about experiences in L.A. I just received my 2007 street guide to L.A. County today; it's huge!

don said...

I admire your courage. I have no problems with the woods and the animals. I know what to expect, but a big city like that would freak me out. But I know you will do do well.

My advice to you is to pay off any debts right away. Then start saving money for retirement as soon a possible. Sorry, I had to get that in. :)

In the words of an old cowboy I know, "You got the world by the butt!"

I'm very happy for you.

Diane Lowe said...

I don't know if it's courage or not; I'm terrified of driving in the city every day! I suppose once I get used to the concrete jungle it won't be as scary, but let's just say I won't be trading in the jeep cherokee anytime soon.

I'm already on top of all the debt repayment! I have a credit card I want to pay off, and some student loans, but it's not too bad. The company I'll be working for will match 8% of my earnings in a company 401(k), so that will be very nice. I also want to start a Roth IRA account and get some money in index funds so when I retire I can be fat and happy.

Thanks for all the support; I'll need it!